Homes built in the 70s and 80s commonly used asbestos as part of their insulation and finishing materials. Aside from being an excellent insulator, asbestos has excellent insulation and soundproofing properties. Later studies, however, showed that asbestos could be difficult for the body to expel if it is inhaled, allowing it to cause health problems depending on where it settles.
Where to Find It
If your home was built during the height of the popularity of asbestos use and had not been renovated or remodelled since it’s very likely that there is asbestos in at least some parts of your home.
One way to check it is to search for asbestos removal services in Perth. These service providers are the ones who are professionally trained to find and test for areas where asbestos may have been used. They are also the ones who can help you safely remove any traces of asbestos in your home.
Why Remove It
It’s best to remove the asbestos from your home before you come into contact with it. The likelihood of developing illness caused by asbestos is heavily influenced by the duration of your exposure, so it’s best to remove it as soon as it has been found. If you have children, it’s particularly important to keep them from getting exposed to asbestos as young children are more susceptible to developing asbestos-related illnesses.
What Are the Alternatives?
Australia has long-since banned the sale of products with asbestos and made alternative, equally effective products available. The only difference between these and asbestos is that these replacement materials have more specific uses. Some are best used for industrial purposes while others are excellent for home use. An additional bonus, if you are concerned about eco-friendliness, is that some of these substitutes contain recycled material or natural products like wheat flour. Other substitutes may also include completely recycled products like plastic bottles stuffed with non-biodegradable litter, as well as cotton or wool insulation substitutes.
Remember that your safety is of paramount concern. If you suspect that your home might have the material contained somewhere, contact an expert to have it sorted out as soon as possible.